
We found out that we were expecting our second child in October 2008. Katie our daughter was so excited when we told her. She had been begging for a baby brother for two years. My pregnancy was going so well. I couldn't complain about anything because everything was going great for me. In January we found out that we are having a baby boy!
Then durning our ultra sound in February we found out our son had a Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD) aka "hole in the heart". I was really torn finding this out because naturally you want a healthy baby. It was so hard coming out and saying that they think he has something wrong his heart. From there my doctor referred me to a high risk OBGYN in Lexington to confirm what he seen. Marc and I decided to keep things quiet for a while only telling our close family and friends.
It seemed like it was all I could think about and everytime I got on the internet I would reasearch VSD. Which I found out it was the most common treatable heart defect. This did give me hope and a peace of mind. The more I read the better I felt and I had a huge comfort that everything was going to be ok. I know that was coming from my faith in God. Really there isn't anything the Doctors can do until he's born. Then I told Marc that I felt like everything was going to be ok and he said he had the same feeling. God is in total control and even if he has a VSD God will give the Doctors the knowledge and steady hand to fix his heart. We've just got to turn it over to him.
"For I know the plan I have for you, " declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Our next appointment was with Dr. Milligan from Central Baptist Hoptial. He did comfirm the VSD and refered us to a Pediatric Cardiologist. We made our appointment with her and a follow up with Dr. Milligan in April. Still our faith and knowlege of his heart condition kept our hopes up that everything will work out. My pregnancy continued to go well just gaining weight and watching my belly grow. Our visit with Dr. Cottrill quicking approached and she seemed to think that the VSD was a moderate size and would get smaller when he was born. She explained that the blood pressure change when he starts to breath on his own will force it to be smaller. We went home that day with great hopes because she didn't see any reason why we couldn't deliver in Somerset. We scheduled a follow up visit and went home.
Then durning our ultra sound in February we found out our son had a Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD) aka "hole in the heart". I was really torn finding this out because naturally you want a healthy baby. It was so hard coming out and saying that they think he has something wrong his heart. From there my doctor referred me to a high risk OBGYN in Lexington to confirm what he seen. Marc and I decided to keep things quiet for a while only telling our close family and friends.
It seemed like it was all I could think about and everytime I got on the internet I would reasearch VSD. Which I found out it was the most common treatable heart defect. This did give me hope and a peace of mind. The more I read the better I felt and I had a huge comfort that everything was going to be ok. I know that was coming from my faith in God. Really there isn't anything the Doctors can do until he's born. Then I told Marc that I felt like everything was going to be ok and he said he had the same feeling. God is in total control and even if he has a VSD God will give the Doctors the knowledge and steady hand to fix his heart. We've just got to turn it over to him.
"For I know the plan I have for you, " declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Our next appointment was with Dr. Milligan from Central Baptist Hoptial. He did comfirm the VSD and refered us to a Pediatric Cardiologist. We made our appointment with her and a follow up with Dr. Milligan in April. Still our faith and knowlege of his heart condition kept our hopes up that everything will work out. My pregnancy continued to go well just gaining weight and watching my belly grow. Our visit with Dr. Cottrill quicking approached and she seemed to think that the VSD was a moderate size and would get smaller when he was born. She explained that the blood pressure change when he starts to breath on his own will force it to be smaller. We went home that day with great hopes because she didn't see any reason why we couldn't deliver in Somerset. We scheduled a follow up visit and went home.

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6
Our next appointment was May 19th with Dr. Cottrill. We arrived for our appointment expecting to hear that everything was ok and come back after the baby was born. But durning the ultra sound the Dr. and ultra sound tech was searching for something and couldn't get Kody to lay still long enough to get a clear view of his heart. At this point he has gotten so big that when they could get a good view they would have a shadow. Not to mention that he is so active that he couldn't be still long enough for them to see everything. An ultra sound with them would take about an hour. Finally they gave up and called my Dr. which I was fixing to go see and asked them to check out his heart that they seen something suspicious. She scheduled us another appointment for two weeks.
At Central Baptist we seen Dr. O'Brian who done the ultra sound. Just our luck Kody ended up with the hiccups and was still long enough that he was able to see his heart. We waited quietly as he done color graphs of the blood flow and spent a long time looking at everything. Not knowing what to expect he finally finished the ultra sound. He explained that he was seeing a Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV). Instead of the lung artery (pulmonary artery) and aorta coming out of separate chambers, both arise from the right-sided ventricle. Then he told us that the artery supplying the blood to the lungs was larger than artery to the body. Both of these would require surgery to fix. He said that it would be best that we deliver at UK and have a medical team ready to observe him as soon as he is born.
We left that day feeling like we had took one step forward and about ten back. We had accepted that fact that he was going to be born with a VSD and that he wouldn't have to have open heart surgery to fix that.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases. Psalm 103:2-3
That brings us to our appoinment on June 2nd. We seen Dr. Cottrill first who once again tried to get Kody to stay still long enough to see what was going on with his heart. She had got the papers from Dr. O'Brian with what he discovered two weeks before. After about 30 mins of turning and trying to get a good look she said that she had seen enough. She explained to us that she seen an Interrupted Aortic Arch. In which a portion of the major artery arising from the heart (aorta) is absent. With this he will require Open Heart Surgery the first few days of life. She explained that as soon as he is born they will take him to ICU and start giving him medicine to keep the Ductus from closing. Then they will do surgery to correct the interrupted artery, then close the ductus and repair the hole in his heart (VSD). These are the plans for now. She didn't mention anything about the Double Outlet Right Ventrile (DORV) that Dr. O'Brian had seen two weeks ago but that doesn't mean it isn't there.
Once again we left just speechless. We had went from something that wasn't so major to something that would require surgery. It has been one big emotional roller coaster for me. I've been so thankful that I could continue to work through all this to keep my mind off things. Plus having Katie to keep me busy in the evenings has been a blessing too. We just had started telling other people about Kody's heart. It's been so hard to tell someone for the first time and explain everything to them. Not knowing what all he'll have to go through. We've asked everyone to keep us in their prayers for God knows what's best. I still have a great comfort that he's going to be ok. I couldn't imagine going through this and not believing in God. They haven't been for sure about anything and there is still a possibilty that he'll be born and not required to have surgery. I know God answers prayers.
We've tried to keep things from Katie because she worries to much to be just four years old. But Sunday night we asked her to say her prayers and to say one for Kody. To our amazement she asked God to fix the hole in Kody's heart. I was in tears we hadn't told her that he had a hole in his heart. I guess she's just overheard us talking to other people about it. We had been talking to her about him going to a nusery and that she might not get to hold him for a few days. Just to prepare her for that part. Children are so amazing and I know that prayer for her baby brother was straight from her heart.
So now we just wait for Monday to come and we'll finally get to meet Kody. I hope he can prove the doctors wrong. Everyone keep us in your prayers.


21 comments:
Jamie,
Randy and I will be praying for you, Kody, Katie and Marc. Thank you for being brave enough to share this with us. There is strength in numbers.
Janet
Jamie and Marc,
You all are in our prayers. God is still in the business of performing miracles! God doesn't make mistakes..everything is part of his plan. He will protect you and give you the strength to get through. You and Marc are his children and he will carry you through.
Jamie,
You are in my prayers that you will have a safe and easy delivery and that Kody will be at home with you soon. There is comfort and power in prayer. Carolyn
Hi Jamie~
Your blog was inspiring to me because I also am one that would hesitate to share my personal life with everyone. But I realize sometimes it is best so others can pray as well~~I will keep you and your family in my prayers and hope that you will be happy at home together real soon.
Stacey Hatfield
Hi! I found your blog on the martin's blog. My baby was born in February. She too has double outlet right ventricle. We went to the NICU as soon as she was born. She was in the hospital for 4 weeks with her first surgery. She will have her 2nd surgery in August. She is doing great. I know what you are going through. I cried my entire pregnancy, but once she got here, God gave me the strength to be strong for her. He will give you that strength too! My website is www.carepages.com/carepages/babybedwell
Heart Hugs
Jamie,
I'm glad you wrote this it has inspired me as well. You and your family our in my prayers. As you said God answers prayers and I know that he will take care of little Kody.
Jamie,
Kody, Katie, you and Marc are in all of our prayers. You are an amazing and brave woman for sharing your experience with us all. You have an army of prayers going with you Monday and all the days following. God bless you all.
Jamie,
You, Marc, Katie and baby Kody are in our prayers. Sometimes it's so hard to understand why things happen, but God truly does bless and I have faith everything will work out just fine.
The Deckers
Jamie,
You have been such an inspiration, so brave and strong. I will continue to pray for your family.
God Bless You and thank you for sharing.
Jamie,
Your strength and courage have been amazing! I know this was a big step for you to share something so personal on this blog. But, at the same time, it allows all of us who love and care for you and your sweet family to keep up with the latest on your situation. We have been praying diligently for you since you found out and as Monday nears we continue to pray for peace and comfort for you, Marc and sweet little Katie. We pray that little Kody will remain strong. We pray that Dr. O'Brian and his nurses will sail right through a flawless delivery and that the medical team waiting on baby Kody will give him the precise treatment needed, no questions asked. We know the Great Physician will take care of your every need. Hang in there this weekend and take comfort that many, many people love you all and are behind you all the way. I love you Jamie, and can't wait to meet your baby boy.
Love,
Misty
Jamie,
You are in my thoughts and prayers. I can only imagine what you are going through. But just remember Kody is in the best hands, God's hands. He is the great physician as Misty said. You are loved and appreciated and many,many,many prayers are going up for you and your family. May God Bless and keep you and your family!!
Love,
Gina Guffey
Jamie,
I had no idea about Kody's condition but you are in our prayers and God is the an awesome God who heals and takes care of his children. If you need us to take care of any of the animals or anything at all please let me know because I'll be glad to help.I will keep looking at the blog for updates. Jamie you are one of my dearest friends and I just want you to know I am for you anytime.
love you Catrina
Jamie,
I have heard about you from a friend and my cousin ( I am originally from Monticello). You are a very loved person. I have read your blog and said a prayer for you. I"ll continue to pray for you today and tomorrow.
Best of luck and thanks for sharing your story.
Korisa
Hi I don't know if you remember but we met once in Somerset. Sherri Fox and I met you & Marc @ the Baskin Robbins. My name is Jodona and we went to school with Marc. I saw your blog and wanted to tell you that we're praying for you and your family. God is our strength and comfort. Psalm 46:1 May He bless you in all things!
Jodona Burton
Jamie,
I can't believe how good you have sounded both times I've talked to you today. You are such a trooper! I'm anxious to hear more about baby Kody. What a boy! 10 lbs. 2 oz. I'm anxious to hear what Miss Katie has to say. Love you all & praying!
Misty
Congratulations to all of you!!! I've not heard a whole lot,but I'm thankful Kody's holding his own. You all have a BIG boy now that I know all of you are proud of. I'm anxious to hear more. You all have been on my mind practically continuously, and in my prayers. I agree with Randy's wife,I also believe there are strength in numbers. May God continue to work in your all's lives and may MANY blessings fall upon you all from here on out. If there's anything at all we can do to help out please let us know while your away. I hope to hear from you soon! With lots of love and prayers,
Stephanie
Hello Jamie and family,
I'm Lindsey Martin's mom and I read your note to her. My heart went out to you and your family during this time. It has been hard to see my daughter go through this... yet I have seen a strength in her, from God, that blesses my soul. I pray God will give you peace and strength through every moment you are going through. He is Jehovah Rophe, the Lord who heals! I believe with you and your family... In the PERFECT name of JESUS Christ your child will be fine and He will be the miracle God intended for him to be and he will show God's power and blessings to all who know him. I look forward in hearing about your little miracle and seeing his pictures soon. I have a blog as well but during everything I have not updated it as much as Facebook. If you would like to communicate with us through facebook or e-mail I'd love to hear from you. Just add me as a friend "Judy Groll" or e-mail judygroll@comcast.net
Love & Blessings,
Judy "GG"
Jamie & family,
Misty is keeping me updated on Kody's status. We are praying for Kody & the family. He's a big boy! He's beautiful, I'm sure you are proud of him. We will continue to pray diligently for Kody as his surgery day approaches. You have the perfect attitude, just keep looking up, God can do anything!
Jacqueline
Jamie,
Our hearts are with you and your family. You have a beautiful baby boy as well as a daughter. May God be with you tomorrow and rest of the days coming ahead. God Bless You and Your Family during this time.
Don & Mindy
Jamie,
Just wanted to let you know I am praying for all of you and wishing I could be there for support today as Kody has his surgery. Eventhough I couldn't be there I know that there is a greater friend there with all of you today and he offers more support than I ever could. I love you all very much.
Love,
Amanda
I feel so blessed that our paths have crossed. I know the plan was for me to encourage you but you have no idea how blessed I felt by getting to meet you. You and your husband are a reminder of what God's brought us and countless others victoriously through! God was thinking about Kody long before you were...even before Luke was born...God saw the future...and the incredible journey our sons lives would take. Even though doctors see our children's heart defects, our God sees them as fearfully and wonderfully made. Going to pray for Kody and your family right now with the kids. Blessings! Shannon Nicholson
Post a Comment